I hope the fall leaves stay around for a little while longer. I love the cooler weather and the beautiful colors on display at this time of year. I was driving up Provo Canyon last weekend and feeling very privileged to witness the mature earth aging with grace, and I felt inspired by it's beauty!
My Uncles, Paul and Robert, both had parts in a community production of Evita, which I attended with my sister RoseAnne on Saturday night. I wasn't familiar with the story and felt intrigued by the message. For any who don't know, Evita became a very powerful woman in Argentina through her manipulation and dishonesty. But people loved her! The poor people at least, whom she pretended to be an advocate for. In reality, she was using them, just as she had used many people that were useful to her, in order to climb so high up in the political stratosphere. With few exceptions, the country at large was infatuated with her. The question I had in my mind was this: How does someone so bad become so popular? She didn't love the people, and her actions were not motivated by love. She was not a modern day Robin Hood, although I'm sure that is what she wanted people to think. Her motives were purely selfish. But it worked for her. To the eventual detriment of the country, she made it to the top. But it was the peoples choice. Her charm, cunning, and enthusiasm were clearly her valuable assets. It reminds me very much of our modern day political situation.
Anyway, the play definitely made me think. It was well executed. Oh, and by the way, Evita died of cancer at the age of 33. It reminds me of the scripture that talks about Satan leading us carefully down to Hell. In my mind the word "carefully" is emphasized. It happens little by little, and we may find that we are charmed into following a paved path, leading to destruction. I was once cautioned that Satan will try to lure me away by wrapping sin in attractive packages that would be enticing to me. It applies to many I believe. Although I'm sure if we look closely, the packaging is stained with remnants of the filth that is contained inside. In the Doctrine and Covenants it states that in order to avoid being deceived we must "pray always, that you may come off conquerer; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work." I find great comfort in knowing that when we partner with the Lord we may come off conqueror! As the verse in the hymn "God Speed the Right" states: "Like the great and good in story, if we fail, we fail with Glory! God Speed the Right!" For anyone who didn't know those are my favorite lines, and one of my favorite hymns.
A few more things:
Sunday I attended a fireside with Elder Richard G. Scott. He spoke about receiving inspiration, seeking the Lord out, and dedicating our lives to Him continually. It was such a wonderful evening. I was seven rows away from a very special witness of Jesus Christ. I looked into his eyes. I felt such a strong spirit, and once again realized that I know, and could never doubt, that the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as it was restored to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is true. I also thought how important it is to take advantage of opportunities to be reminded of that, because it is so easy to forget what is really important. The general message that was communicated to me that evening was basically this: This life will be very difficult, and I will be faced with many challenges, however, the Lord has provided the tools for me to succeed, and if I am willing to work hard, I will be triumphant. Not only will I reach the summit, but I will find blessings there too wonderful for me to imagine.
Tuesday I had a job interview with a girls group home, that I feel went very well. I also received a call from a social services organization in Salt Lake City that has a position I am very interested in, and we set up an interview for Thursday. Tuesday night I spent a few hours with my sister Katie. We both volunteered with the Alumni Association of BYU and assisted with the "Hike and Light the Y" event. Every year during homecoming week the Y on the mountain in Provo is lit up brightly, inspiring school spirit I'm sure. I was in it to spend time with Katie and have fun. I also got a free T-shirt, which is always good.
Today I spent a lot of time with RoseAnne and the kids. We played at the park, read books, and cleaned the house. In the afternoon we took a trip to Burlington Coat Factory where I purchased a much needed coat. RoseAnne bought a coat for Rosemarie, and a suit for Joseph. We then ate at Chuck-a-Rama. That meant that there were no dinner dishes, which made the whole trip so worth it!
Tomorrow I fly to Arizona for a friends wedding, and Sunday James arrives for a visit. I have a lot to look forward to :)
Wow, you sound like you have been busy! I hope one of those jobs works out! Good job updating your blog!
ReplyDelete